Learn to Lead in the Backcountry
- April 7 through 10, 2023
Taught in partnership with Silverton Avalanche School (SAS) and Weston Backcountry, the 4-day Recreational Level 2 Course is designed for experienced backcountry travelers who want to advance their skills. Where the Rec-1 teaches adventurers how to be a member of a team, the Rec-2 teaches how to be a leader of that team. This course is the capstone of recreational avalanche education in America.
The SAS Rec-2 curriculum is built around experiential education, each day we will build on the previous days with students leading us deeper and deeper into the mountains. In this course we don’t just talk about what it would be like to ski these lines, we will actually get into the mountains and make real decisions–informed by international best practice and decades of local knowledge.
We offer this course late in the season specifically to help students learn to navigate Spring ‘corn’ conditions. In level one we start by learning how to practice avoidance and not interact with avalanches, we talk about the appropriate time to step out of that mindset, usually in Spring. This course is a good follow up to those conversations and ideas.
The SAS REC Level Two provides a comprehensive, highly personalized learning experience that focuses on our students’ ability to:
- Competently assess terrain of consequence
- Understand risks, hazards, exposure and vulnerability in the backcountry
- Confidently facilitate in-field communications and decision making
- Refine micro and macro route finding and terrain management strategies recognize and address uncertainty with self and others
- Analyze the snowpack and anticipate avalanche problems, sans avy bulletin
- Lead tour planning and the development of time control plans
- Efficiently solicit observations and options from your teammates
- Be proactive in planning for rescue and emergency situations
All Level Two courses require previous completion of a one day Avalanche Rescue course, in addition to our Recreational Level 1, as students are expected to complete a rescue test and participate in emergency scenarios throughout the course.
Let us know if you would like to set this up as a private course for you and your family or friends.
Note: Kent Mountain Adventure Center is a member of the SAS COURSE PROVIDER Alliance, offering Avalanche Education, Backcountry Instruction and Rescue Training.
SAS Course Providers utilize an internationally codified curriculum and adhere to best practices, set forth by the International Commission for Alpine Rescue (ICAR), exceeding the learning outcomes and educational objectives as defined by the American Avalanche Association.