December 19-23, 2022
This course is taught in partnership with Silverton Avalanche School and taught by their Pro Faculty. It will use KMAC’s facilities and the mountains of RMNP.
Pro 1 Course Deposit – Pay First: (Please thoroughly read the Registration Process below, prior to paying your deposit) You will pay the balance upon application approval.
The Pro 1 is the first step in professional level training in a progression of courses designed for avalanche workers early in their careers or for experienced workers looking to stay current with industry standards. The course covers the fundamentals of weather, snow, and avalanche observation, data collection, and recording to the industry standard in an operational setting. Students study and utilize the basics of avalanche hazard and risk assessments, while gaining operational practice in both the collection of data, daily contribution hazard and risk discussion and the forecasting process.
Students refine terrain recognition and travel skills while gaining experience characterizing avalanche paths and avalanche occurrences. Students are given the opportunity to leverage previous experience in terrain and deepen their understanding of how snowpack and terrain interact. Instructors provide coaching, instruction and ongoing evaluation both in the field and the classroom. Upon successful completion of a final written exam and several field exams, students are awarded an industry standard certification recognized by the American Avalanche Association (A3).
- Review requirements (found below).
- Pay the application fee/course deposit
- Fill out the course registration form here.
- Receive receipt of application fee/course registration from our office.
- Your application will be reviewed (up to 4-6 weeks) and you will be notified of your program acceptance or admissions denial.
- Pay $100 professional course fee to A3 and show receipt of this payment (This is new from A3 for the 2022-23 season and required to be fully registered in the course).
- Pay your course fees in full within 30 days of program acceptance.
- Receive full course information package once course fees are paid in full.
- SAS holds a $60 administrative processing fee if your course fees need to be refunded due to not meeting application requirements.
Student Requirements for Enrollment (1-3 all required):
Course applicants have completed the following A3 required prerequisites prior to enrollment found in the A3 Program Oversight document:
- Recreational Level 1 Avalanche Training from an A3 REC provider/program
- Avalanche Rescue Course from an A3 REC provider/program
*A3 Note: Applicants who believe they have the educational equivalent of the above-listed prerequisites can apply to the Pro Course Provider of their choice for a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) review. Course enrollment in these situations is at the discretion of the Pro Course Provider.
3. One winter season (20 days or more) of relevant experience (demonstrated through one of the following).
- Prior avalanche work experience; OR
- A supervised unpaid work internship in the guiding/avalanche industry supported by a letter of reference; OR
- Letter of recommendation from AAA Professional member; OR
- A3 Membership (Affiliate or Professional); OR
- Winter backcountry travel experience supported by documented trip planning and recorded field observations that contributed to avalanche hazard assessment and personal avalanche risk management.
- Access to SAS Online Learning Classroom
- Snow Weather and Avalanche Guidelines
- Field book
Deposit: $275, Balance: $1124
The Registration Process: Students pays deposit, application is reviewed and upon approval a payment link is sent for the final balance.
**A3 Professional Course Fees are separate and go directly through A3.